- Neuromorphic computing
Yuchao Yang has made recognized contributions toward understanding the microscopic mechanism of memristive devices, fabrication/optimization of artificial synapses as well as memristive neural networks. He has published over 70 papers, including that in high-profile journals such as Nature Electronics, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, Nano Letters, etc., as well as 3 book chapters in English and 1 book chapter in Chinese. 5 of his publications are selected as ESI highly cited papers. He was invited to contribute 8 review articles or special-issue papers in Nature Electronics, etc. He has been invited to give >20 keynote/invited talks on international conferences, and his research works were covered by >20 English websites. He is the chief scientist for National Key R&D Program of China and serves as technical program committee chair or member for 3 international conferences. He is a reviewer for European Research Council (ERC) projects, a reviewer for >35 peer-review journals and was selected as outstanding reviewer for Nanoscale in 2016 and 2017. He is a recipient of the Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholar Award and was recognized as MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35 in China.
Summary of Research Work
Yuchao’s research subject is memristor and its applications in neuromorphic computing. This research is inspired by the computing principle of the human brain, aiming to develop new devices and chips that can emulate the functionalities of the brain, with parallelism, robustness akin to biology while consuming less energy than conventional chips. The fundamental building blocks used are memristors, the fourth passive circuit element in addition to resistor, capacitor and inductor.
Published 70 papers to date. Obtained over 4,100 total citations with a Hirsch index of 26
- “Understanding and Engineering Memristors for Computing Applications”, International Conference on Memristive Materials, Devices & Systems (MEMRISYS), Athens, Greece Apr. 03-06 2017 (Keynote speaker).
- “Switching Kinetics of Memristors by Nanoscale Characterization and Their Applications in Neuromorphic Computing”, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, USA, Nov. 27 – 30 2017.
- “Interfacial redox processes in memristive devices based on valence change and electrochemical metallization”, Faraday Discussions, Aachen, Germany, Oct. 15 - 17, 2018.
- “Brain Inspired Nanoionic Devices and Networks for Efficient Computing”, International Workshop on Future Computing: Memristive Devices and Systems (IWOFC 2018), Shenzhen, China, Dec. 17-18 2018.
- “Nonvolatile memristor as a new platform for non-von Neumann computing”, International Conference on Solid-State and Integrated Circuit Technology (ICSICT) 2018, Qingdao, China, Oct. 31- Nov. 3, 2018.
- “Manipulation of ionic transport properties for synaptic elements with rich functionalities”, 2018 International Emergent Memory Symposium (IEMS-2018), Ji’an, Jiangxi, China, Aug. 31 - Sept. 2, 2018.
- “Emerging computing hardware for future artificial intelligence”, 2018 Sino-Dutch International High Level Talent Forum, Beijing, China, Jul. 09-14, 2018.
- “Nanoionics Enabled Devices and Networks for Efficient Computing”, 4 International Conference on Memristive Materials, Devices & Systems (MEMRISYS), 2018, Beijing, China, Jul. 03-05, 2018.
- “Emulation of the human brain by nanodevices at different scales”, CSTIC 2018, Shanghai, China, Mar. 11-12, 2018.
- “Memristors for Memory and Computing Applications”, The International Photonics and Optoelectronics Meeting (POEM) 2017, Wuhan, China, Nov. 3-5, 2017.
- “Memristors for Emerging Memory and Computing Applications”, ASICON 2017, Guiyang, China, Oct. 25-28, 2017.
- “Memristive Devices: Understanding of Filament Growth Dynamics and Computing Applications”, International Symposium of Memory Devices for Abundant Data Computing, Hongkong, Sept. 22 - 24, 2017.
- “Memristive Devices: Switching Dynamics and Computing Applications”, International Workshop on Future Computing: Memristive Devices and Systems (IWOFC 2017), Beijing, China, Sept. 1 - 2, 2017.
- “Memristive Devices: Switching Dynamics and Computing Applications”, The XXVI International Materials Research Congress (IMRC 2017), Cancun, Mexico, Aug. 20 - 25, 2017 15.
- “Memristive Devices: Switching Dynamics and Computing Applications”, 3rd NANOMXCN: Mexico-China Workshop on Nano Materials/Science/Technology, Cancun, Mexico, Aug. 19 - 21, 2017.
- “Deciphering Memristors for Computing Applications”, The 9th Joint Meeting of Chinese Physicists Worldwide (OCPA9), Beijing, China, Jul. 17 - 20, 2017.
- “Ion Transport in Memristive Oxides and Its Computing Applications”, China RRAM, Soochow, China, Jun. 12 - 13, 2017.
- “Resistive switching dynamics and beyond”, IEEE 13th International Conference on Solid-State and Integrated Circuit Technology (ICSICT), Hangzhou, China, Oct. 25-28 2016.
- “Probing switching mechanism and dynamics of memristive devices”, Workshop on Memristor Theory, Device and Applications, Wuhan, China, Dec. 17 2015.
- “In situ TEM study on electrochemical dynamics in resistive random access memory”, 15th International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE Nano 2015), Rome, Italy, Jul. 2015.
- “Metal–Insulator Transition in Functionalized Graphene for Select Element of Resistive Memory”, MRS Spring meeting, San Francisco, CA, Apr. 2014.
- “RRAM filament structure and growth dynamics”, China Semiconductor Technology International Conference (CSTIC) 2014, Shanghai, China, Mar. 2014.
- “Combination of High Endurance and On-state Nonlinearity in Valence Change Resistive Memory through Material Engineering”, MRS Spring meeting, San Francisco, CA, Apr. 2013.
- “Natural Complementary Resistive Switching in Tantalum Oxide-based Resistive Devices”, MRS fall meeting, Boston, MA, Nov. 2012.
- “Direct study of conducting filament growth dynamics in resistive memory via ex situ and in situ TEM”, 54th Annual Electronic Materials Conference, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, Jun. 2012.
Awards and Accolades
- MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35 in China (2018)
- Science and Technology Award of Beijing (2nd class) (2018)
- Outstanding reviewer for Nanoscale (2017)
- Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholar Award (2017)
- Boya Young Scholar (2017)
- Top 10 Outstanding reviewers for Nanoscale (2016)
- National Natural Science Award (2nd class), China (2012)
- Outstanding achievement in natural science research (1st class), Ministry of Education, China (2012)
- Excellent talents in academic research of Tsinghua University (2010)
- Chief Scientist for National Key R&D Programs of China
- Reviewer for European Research Council (ERC) projects
- Guest Editor, Special Focus on Memristive Devices and Neuromorphic Computing, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences
- Technical Committee Chair – International Workshop on Future Computing
- Technical Committee Member – China RRAM, ICSICT
- Reviewer for more than 35 journals including Nature Electronics, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Nano Letters, etc